[texbirds] LaFitte's Cove - BB Cuckoo and Whip-poor-will

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:41:34 -0500

HI Texbirders,

There were some good birds there today.

4 species warbler seen by mne or another observer...male Am.
Redstart, Tennessee, Ovenbird, Nashville.

3 species vireo...White-eyed, Yellow-throated and Philadelphia

A juvie Cooper's hawk flew in and perched abpve my head.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/157796020

As I was leaving, the other birder said he had a BB Cuckoo. He took
me to the bushes where he had seen it. I saw a cuckoo fly out and
up into an oak tree above. Never relocated it.

However as I was looking for it, I saw this perched nightjar which I
suspect is a Whip-poor-will.

The primaries show white edging like juvie Common Nighthawks have.
May be juvie whip??

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/157796017

It doesn't have the white under the shoulder and the wings are
shorter than the tail. The throat appeared to be grayish, not brown.

I got some more photos from different angle to see throat better.

Here is with flash.       http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/157796018

And without    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/157796019

This is only the second time i have SEEN this bird and my first photos.

I suspect many of you have never seen it either. Here are the
directions to find it as it likely will stay roosted til sundown.

On the path out to Binnacle Way, there is an information sign label
"Yaupon". It is only sign on this part of path.
About 20 feet beyond on the left are several dead palm fronds at
waist level by the path.
Go to the palm fronds, and step off the path 2-3 feet on the water
side of the path, just to the left of the palm fronds.
Look up slightly to the right, he is on a bare horizontal branch
about 25 feet off the ground.

Good luck and good birding.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX