[texbirds] LRGV weekend review

  • From: "Sanchez, Isaac C" <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:50:24 +0000

TEXBIRDERS

I didn’t get the early start on Friday I had planned, so I was unable to look
for Mountain Plovers on the way down from Austin.  On Saturday, I was at Sabal
Palm at daybreak and saw the CRIMSON-COLLARED GROSBEAK for the first time
around 8:00 AM and a second time around 9:00.  Unfortunately, I was only able
to get some poor photos both times around. I ended up getting 6 new photo year
birds at Sabal Palm (the grosbeak + OLIVE SPARROW, WHITE-TIPPED DOVE, PLAIN
CHACHALACA, BUFF-BELLIED HUMMINGBIRD, and LONG-BILLED THRASHER).  I left Sabal
Palm about 9:30 and starting searching the roads up towards Los Fresnos (Rts.
511 & 100) for HARRIS’S and White-tailed Hawks; got the Harris’s, but dipped on
the White-tailed.  I did see an APLOMADO FALCON  on Old Port Isabel Road, a
bird I photographed last month
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632579894910/ ).

I then proceeded to Estero Llano, quickly becoming my favorite SP, where I
picked up 7 new photo birds (CINNAMON TEAL, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, COMMON
PAURAQUE, WHITE-EYED VIREO, CLAY-COLORED THRUSH, RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD, and LEAST
GREBE).  But I did dip on 2 birds I was hoping for, Tropical Kingbird and Green
Kingfisher.  Around 2:00 PM I left Estero and made the short hop over to
Frontera Audubon.  I knew it was the wrong time of day to try for the
Zone-tailed Hawk, but I thought I might get lucky and see it soaring with
vultures. It was not to be, but I did pick up a Blue-headed Vireo at Frontera.
I left about 3:15 and headed over to Quinta Mazatlan (I love this place!) and
bagged my target bird of an EASTERN SCREECH OWL plus GREAT KISKADEE.  I was
hoping to get Green parakeet as my 18th photo bird for the day in McAllen, so
around 5:00 PM I headed over to 10th Street and started looking between Violet
and Dove streets and the surrounding area to McColl Road until after sunset,
but to my great surprise, no Green Parakeets.  Obviously, they have chosen a
new roosting location. Still a pretty good day and I was excited to begin the
next day in Salineno.

I arrived at Salineno at sunrise and quickly picked up a RING KINGFISHER, which
I had already photographed in Austin. I was after the 3 orioles, Gray Hawk, and
Red-billed Pigeons.  I thought I had located a group of pigeons on the island,
but when I blew up the photos, I had White-winged Doves.  About 8:00 AM I ran
into Lois and Merle, the volunteers who keep Salineno going; kudos to them for
their efforts. I spent nearly 2 hours waiting on the orioles, but I only picked
up ALTAMIRA, which were numerous (10-15) and at least half were immatures.  I
heard Audubon’s, but I never saw one.  At this point, I made a tactical
mistake.  The forecast for the day was 10-20 mph winds with 30 mph gusts.  The
wind at Salineno was brisk, but the sanctuary area is relatively protected and
dampens any wind.  I should have stayed at Salineno and waited for the other 2
orioles to make an appearance, but instead I headed up to Laredo (about 75
miles NW on 83) to try for the White-collared Seedeater.   The wind was very
strong in Laredo  (sometimes the weather forecast is right) and Seedeaters, as
well as other passerines, were keeping out of the wind.  Busted again on the
WCSE, which is quickly rising on my nemesis list.  By 2:00 PM I was making my
way back to Austin, but with 18 new photo birds, which brings my year total to
232.

Some selected photos of the weekend can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632792921919/

BTW, I did see White-tailed Hawks twice during the weekend, but both times I
was going about 60 mph with no immediate pull off on the road.

Isaac Sanchez
Austin