[texbirds] Katy Hawk

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 07:06:02 -0600

Thanks for all the responses. At 100 yards in the fairly dense fog, the bird
appeared more eerie than recognizable, even the Bobwhite at close range were
hard to see ,,, <in a slightly mesmerized voice> it was something about the
eyes.

Anyway, in other tidbits, there were two White-tailed Hawks in the area, one
adult and one juvenile. At the Bear Creek bridge (first time I had been
there) there were a number of sparrows. I heard one song for about a minute
but couldn't locate the singer. I do not believe it was one of the sparrows.
Out on Pinnick Rd I saw a Krider's hawk but my camera got hinky, so I missed
the shot.

For those on Travis County, I saw the curious spectacle of a Vermilion
Flycatcher completely fascinated with its reflection on a road mirror at
Hornsby Bend.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/VermilionFlycatcheranditsmirrorimage_zps34e48e8f.jpg

On the big pond there was a sleeping duck (never raised its head while I
observed) which I will presume was a Shoveler (sinice it was in the company
of Shovelers), which I guess would be considered a leucistic variety. This
one stood out in the crowd.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/LeucisticShoveler_zps607f6c4e.jpg

Ray Porter
Highlands, Tx