[texbirds] June 13th Texas Pelagic Update

  • From: "Garett Hodne" <garyhodne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds Posts'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 13:46:32 -0500

Hi Texbirders and Pelagic Fans,
Our June 13th Texas Pelagic is just 2 weeks from today. We have reached the
minimum number of participants needed to run this trip. But there is still
plenty of room for more people and it's not too late to sign-up to join us
for this first trip of the season.

Early June is the best time of year for Storm-Petrels and 83% of only 7 June
trips have found Leach's Storm-Petrel in addition to the more numerous
Band-rumped Storm-Petrels. Recent research studies on the Band-rumped
Storm-Petrel complex indicates there are likely 4 taxa and some or all of
these may eventually be granted full species status. The taxa occurring in
Texas waters is referred to as Grant's Storm-Petrel. But there is some
photographic evidence suggesting one other taxa, the Madeiran Storm-Petrel,
also occurs in Texas offshore waters. We really need to photograph ever
Storm-Petrel we see to help sort out the taxonomy of Storm-Petrels seen
offshore Texas.

Given such sparse coverage in Texas Pelagic waters at this time of year
there is still a lot we don't know about what birds are present at this time
of year offshore. A number of our leaders have really wanted to run a trip
in early June to find out more about the offshore seabirds distribution and
because they think some cool discoveries could happen at this time of year.

Early June is an excellent time for Pelagics on the East Coast. As one of
our leaders John O'Brien stated "I am particularly keen to do an early
season trip because that is the time that corresponds to a very interesting
diversity of Pterodroma in North Carolina. We can always hope." And I agree
whole heartedly. It really is a season that deserves to be explored
offshore Texas.

So why not join us on June 13th for an amazing adventure birding offshore
Texas. All the information you need to sign-up and learn all about Texas
Pelagics can be found at <http://www.TexasPelagics.com>
www.TexasPelagics.com . Or contact me about any questions.

Good seabirding,

Gary Hodne