[texbirds] Re: Junction Wastewater Ponds late today

  • From: tony gallucci <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rhandy Helton <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 21:45:09 -0500

well, i checked the Junction wastewater treatment ponds late today too after
the storm passage, and note that Rhandy had a few things i didn't, but i had a
few things he didn't as well (including larger numbers of Baird's, White-rumped
and Spotted Sandpipers), as things were swirling and moving about constantly .
. . here's the things i noted he didn't (and i'm sure he saw the waterfowl but
didn't list them)

20 Blue-winged Teal
16 Northern Shoveler
2 Northern Pintail
1 American Wigeon
20 Gadwall
1 Redhead
4 Ruddy Duck
6 American Coot
1 Greater Yellowlegs
2 Stilt Sandpiper
2 Killdeer
1 Franklin's Gull
500 Cliff Swallows
1 Savannah Sparrow

and one shorebird that i'm going to have to spend some time with not so great
photos trying to figure out . . .

tony gallucci
ingram/kerrville/hunt, texas
hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://tonygallucci.dAportfolio.com

From: rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx

With all the stormy weather around (but Junction
managed to miss all the rain again) I decided to check the wastewater ponds
late
today. Shorebirds included:
Wilson's Phalarope (50)
Baird's Sandpiper (15)
White-rumped Sandpiper (6-8)
Least Sandpiper (5)
Western Sandpiper (2-3 but could have been
more)
Pectoral Sandpiper (5)
Lesser Yellowlegs (4)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)

Also observed 4 Black Terns in breeding
plummage---birds I don't see here often.
 Rhandy Helton
Junction