[texbirds] Jeff Davis County - Common Merganser

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 07:07:43 -0600

Hi folks. I don't have time for a full report right now, but my wife and I
have been birding in Jeff Davis County yesterday. One of the nicest things
that we found was a small pond with ducks on it. (Thanks to Jon McIntyre
for his tip on its presence.) the pond is on the west or right side of the
road as you come down from Balmorhea, just inside the Jeff Davis county
line.
This pond had a number of species of ducks visible from the highway,
including Bufflehead, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, and
Northern Shoveler. Also American Coot and Greater Yellowlegs were present.

But I thought the best bird of the day was a female Common Merganser. I
can't imagine that this species is very easy to come by in Jeff Davis
County.

We're off to Pecos County today. I'll let you know if I find anything good.

--
Jay Packer
(sent from my phone)