[texbirds] Jackson Co. - lingering stuff

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:15:27 -0500

TexBirders--

I spent all day today wandering around Jackson Co, mostly from Edna and Lake
Texana coastward.  In compiling a 90+ spp day, undoubtedly the most interesting
stuff was at the Formosa-Tejano Wetlands on TX 172 (both E and W sides) south
of La Ward.  On the W side the numerous herons, egrets, and spoonbills were
accompanied by 5 to 12 Wood Storks, all of them immatures.  On that side I also
had 8 spp of waterfowl including Wigeon, Gadwall, and a pair of Redheads.  A
Least Bittern was glimpsed flitting between clumps of cattails.  (That is, I
was glimpsing; it was doing the flitting.)

The shallow pools scanned from the viewing tower on the E side of 172 held up
to 21 White-rumped Sandpipers, one Semipalmated Sandpiper, five Long-billed
Curlews, and a small group of Wilson's Phalaropes, among more expected spp.

I've lucked out with quite calm winds, mild temps, and few biting insects on
this trip.  The down side has been a complete absence of any remnant (or stray)
passerine migration.

Chuck Sexton
Austin

Sent from my clay tablet.Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at