[texbirds] Invitation

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 12:12:20 -0600

I would like to extend an invitation to all of you to attend the Laredo
Birding Festival, February 10-12, 2013.  Registration can be done on line at
www.laredobirdingfestival.com or at the host hotel,  La Posada,  on February
9 in the afternoon.  This year's festival featured speakers include Sandy
Komito (holder of the ABA Big Year record), Chuck Sexton (everyone knows
Chuck) and Ro Wauer (a Texas treasure).  The festival features an
opportunity to access many large South Texas ranches normally not accessible
to the public.  Weather in Laredo during this time of year is usually
gorgeous, morning lows in the upper 40s and afternoon highs in the 70s.
Laredo has produced some special birds-the Amazon Kingfisher, Blue Bunting
and you can easily find the White-collared Seedeater.  Of course many other
Texas specialties are also present-Gray Hawk, Clay-colored Thrush, Muscovy
Duck, Red-billed Pigeon, Audubon's and Altamira Orioles, and I could go on
and on.  Not only is Laredo a vastly under-birded area (an Acorn Woodpecker
was recently found there the direct result of increased birding activity),
but the hospitality of this festival is beyond rival.  Pete Dunne was our
guest speaker last year and he was very impressed.  Pete says about this
festival-- "Texas birds, Texas hospitality, and a town steeped in history.
This is a birding festival you won't want to miss, it's one you'll eagerly
return to.  With friends."  I hope you will take Pete's advice and join us
for a great birding experience.

A word about safety in Laredo.  Laredo is a very safe place and so are all
the birding sites that we visit.  One thing you will definitely encounter
during your visit-a massive Border Patrol presence.  You cannot go anywhere
along the Rio Grande without an immediate response from Border Patrol
agents.  In an article published in the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional/statesman-analysis-shows-t
hat-statistics-dont-ba-1/nRgmb/ the myth of danger in US border counties is
laid to rest.  If you are looking for a great way to begin your 2013 birding
year this is the place.  And if you bring along an SOB (that is, spouse of
birder) who does not enjoy birding, you had better place a limit on the
credit card because Laredo is a great place for SHOPPING!  See you there!

Jim Hailey
110 Lavaca Lane
Georgetown, TX 78628
512-591-7616