[texbirds] Interesting morning in Travis and Bastrop Co.s

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:24:35 -0500

.
A bit chilly and breezy but a beautiful day regardless.  Black-and-white
Warblers seem to be almost everywhere, perhaps with many put down by the
north breeze..  A single Worm-eating Warbler was for sure a highlight as it
was singing it's "zipper-like" song.  A few of the other expected warbler,
Black-throat Green, N. Parula etc.  A single male Prothonotary was right on
time and singing well.
  I flushed a hen Turkey off a nest from about 10'  with 4 eggs which took
another hour or two off my time and found a Black Vulture on two eggs in an
old deer blind.

  A pair of foxes have taken up on my place and I saw the vixen as I pulled
into the drive a bit ago...I have not seen the Bot Fly cottontail in
several days, maybe as a result.  Still have singing Field Sparrows.
Listening to one as I type.  Pine Siskins still here.  Maybe they spent the
winter in Mexico this year as I and others were sure short on them over the
winter.  The wildflowers are spectacular in places.  Get outside.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/