[texbirds] Re: Interesting Black-backed Gull at Quintana

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:34:38 -0400 (EDT)

Ron,

I have photos of this LBBG but if no more gulls have 'band' on left lower
leg this is rather 3rd calendar year than 2nd.

I think most of these LBBGs are around here for quite time but move around
looking for food; sometimes during day you do not see any for several hours
 (most of the day) then several pop up.

Best,

Mark

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)

In a message dated 9/14/2012 10:02:51 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

TexBirders,

Migrants have been really slow the last few days so I spent some time on
the beach tonight.  Had 9 black-backed gulls tonight at the jetty.   One of
them was noticeably larger and stockier than the others.  I  studied it for
two hours trying to decide if it might be a Kelp or Kelp  hybird.  Still not
sure, but would like for anyone down that way (Mark?)  to get some better
shots than I did.  It was frequenting the area between  the jetty and fishing
pier where as many as 10 dark-backed gulls have been the  last two days.
This bird is heavy molt and appears to have something  wrapped around its left
leg near the foot.  Thought it may have been  a band at first.  I believe
it to be a 2nd year bird with  a n early full tail band.

While spending (wasting?) time with this gull also had a few lingering
Least Terns, several Common Terns, Semipalmated and Piping Plovers and a
Swainson's Hawk all from the beach.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson