[texbirds] Indianola BBS, Calhoun Co.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:50:52 -0500

.
Which I finally got completed this morning.  Better late than never.
Highlights included a silent, inflight Whimbrel (remotely a Bristle-thighed
Curlew :-) in early light and a recently fledged Great Horned Owl. Had
numerous write-ins.  Bird song died around 9:30A.  I had a Purple Gallinule
but unfortunately it was between points.  Both Ash-throated and
Brown-crested Flycatchers on stops.
On the way back to Port O'Connor there was a flock of Wood Storks over the
old Schmik fish farm on 1289.  My first of year Frigatebirrds
yesterday..Work has kept me from the coast.....Petra has had up to 47 at
once behind a single shrimper.
  There were three Black Rails calling loudly, however this time they all
came from the bellies of Mockingbirds...I did not have an undigested one.

Unfortunately this is my last year I can commit to this route that I have
done so many times including 3 times in 2010 in association with the Deep
Horizon Oil Spill.  I hope next year someone with good ears and eyes can
take it up....Wonderful route with all kinds of habitat from open bays,
salt marshes, rice fields, sand flats, woodlands and ag fields.  I just can
not get it to fit in to May any more when it is at its best.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/