[texbirds] Independence Creek Preserve (Terrell Co) Bushtit Question

  • From: Romey Swanson <romeyswanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 21:22:18 -0500

Looking for some information.
This past weekend while taking advantage of the open weekend at
Independence Creek Preserve (my first time!) I observed 2 Bushtit (among a
bunch of nice birds or which I won't get into on this post).  One of which
I watched for a couple of minutes because it appeared different than those
that I have seen in the eastern part of the Plateau.

This bird had huge black cheek patches that were dramatically contrasting
with the gray base color.  I have noticed tiny little black bandit masks on
a few but most I see are gray overall. I don't know much about the
sub-species of this group and can't seem to find any decent
information/sites (I admittedly haven't search exhaustively) and am hoping
somebody wouldn't mind forgiving my lack of effort/time tonight by pointing
me in a good direction?

I would appreciate it.
By the way, I am working on two full eBird reports listing all birds
observed on Saturday and Sunday.

Independence Creek Preserve is owned and managed by The Nature Conservancy
of Texas and is located in Terrell County south of Sheffield (~30 miles
south of I-10).  This place is a real gem and managed by some of the most
pleasant, informative and genuinely enthusiastic folks I have met. I highly
recommend it but check the open use schedule before planning a trip.

*
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/texas/events/independence-creek-open-days.xml*

Kindest Regards,

Romey Swanson