[texbirds] Impromtu Hawk watch at Tyler State Park 9-25-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:26:22 -0500

Howdy All!

I wasn't really planning on getting out this morning, but I wanted to
see if I could re-find the Sedge Wren.  I heard it on the spillway of
the dam but could never get a look at it.  On my trip back across the
dam it got real fun.   I ran into a flock of small birds.  It was your
typical Chickadees, Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatches and Downy
Woodpeckers.  Upon further inspection, I found Nashville,
Black-and-White, Magnolia, and American Redstart warblers.

While talking to one of our friendly guests I noticed a Cooper's Hawk
harassing a Broad-winged Hawk.  I started noticing a few more
Broad-wings.  That turned into a huge stream of Broad-wings heading from
the north to the south.  My best estimation on numbers is around 400.
They were joined by a few more Cooper's, Sharp-shinned, and
Red-shouldered.  Two Peregrines made low passes over the dam before
climbing high and moving south.  Rounding out the falcons, a Merlin and
a Kestrel flew over the lake.  We even had a couple of immature Bald
Eagles.  One of the eagles made a landing on the north side of the lake
and had something in its talons.   Several Anhingas were in the kettles
of hawks passing overhead.  Black Vultures were in large numbers too.  I
think there were about 100 of them.

It was a fun morning for sure.  45 species total right there at the dam.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Sep 25, 2012 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Protocol: Stationary

45 species

Mallard  12

Pied-billed Grebe  6

Anhinga  6

Great Egret  1

Snowy Egret  1

Little Blue Heron  1

Black Vulture  100

Turkey Vulture  25

Sharp-shinned Hawk  3

Cooper's Hawk  7

Bald Eagle  2

Red-shouldered Hawk  3

Broad-winged Hawk  400

Killdeer  2

Mourning Dove  2

Chimney Swift  6

Belted Kingfisher  2

Red-headed Woodpecker  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  3

Downy Woodpecker  2

Pileated Woodpecker  3

American Kestrel  1

Merlin  1

Peregrine Falcon  2

Eastern Wood-Pewee  1

Eastern Phoebe  2

Blue Jay  10

American Crow  8

Carolina Chickadee  6

Tufted Titmouse  6

White-breasted Nuthatch  4

Brown-headed Nuthatch  2

Sedge Wren  1     heard call in the same area of the sighting on Sept.
20

Carolina Wren  5

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1

Brown Thrasher  2

Black-and-white Warbler  5

Nashville Warbler  1

American Redstart  1

Magnolia Warbler  1

Pine Warbler  5

Black-throated Green Warbler  1

Northern Cardinal  5

Indigo Bunting  7

Good Birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image