[texbirds] Importance of Ebird data

  • From: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:09:57 -0600

I asked Cornel for documents on the importance of their data.  The Biologist
involved on the rezoning at Cibolo Planning and Zoning had discounted their
value.  Thanks Chris for the articles

EBird publications on importance of Ebird data

Here is a list of publications from eBird data that may be useful.

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/publications/

You could also direct them to the two State of the Birds Reports, which are
based on models of eBird data.

http://www.stateofthebirds.org/State%20of%20the%20Birds%202011.pdf

http://www.stateofthebirds.org/2013%20State%20of%20the%20Birds_low-res.pdf

In the meantime, these two papers provide good overviews:

Sullivan B. L, Wood C. L, Iliff M. J, Bonney R. E, Fink D, et al. (2009) eBird:
a citizen-based bird observation network in the biological sciences. Biological
Conservation 142: 2282–2292. doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2009.05.006.

Wood C, Sullivan B, Iliff M, Fink D, Kelling S (2011) eBird: Engaging Birders
in Science and Conservation. PLoS Biol 9(12): e1001220.
doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001220

We have a paper in press in Biological Conservation that addresses the eBird
Enterprise. When this comes out I will send it to you.

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TASEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at