[texbirds] Imperial Reservoir - Yes!

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:17:18 -0600

Texbirders,
Amy and I birded Pecos County yesterday. The main highlight for me was
visiting Imperial Reservoir. It has a lot of water. Maybe not a lot by the
standards of ten years ago, but a lot by the standards of the last trip
reports I received from August 2012. There were thousands of ducks and
Sandhill Cranes. The density of birds was really impressive. The list
included:

American Wigeon: 2
Mallard: 8
Northern Shoveler: 300
Northern Pintail: 1500
Green-winged Teal: 6
Redhead: 1
Bufflehead: 2
Ruddy Duck: 75
Horned Grebe: 2
Eared Grebe: 1
American White Pelican: 5
Great Egret: 1
American Coot: 4
Sandhill Crane: 3000
Killdeer: 4
Greater Yellowlegs: 18
Least Sandpiper: 8
Bonaparte's Gull: 2
Ring-billed Gull: 2
House Finch: 5

In Fort Stockton, we had great success at two spots that are must for
birders.

Rooney Park had three Brown Creepers and three Red-breasted Nuthatches as
others have reported. They were in a flock together in the cottonwoods
along the canal on the northern boundary of the park. We found a Wilson's
Snipe, Northern Cardinal, and House Wren at the woody drainage area outside
but adjacent to the park on the opposite side of the main road to he park.
(You can cross underneath an overpass to reach there.)

At the treatment pond off 40th St, we had fantastic diversity of ducks. We
got EVERY possible species except American Wigeon (which we later saw at
Imperial), Common Goldeneye, Wood Duck, and any of the mergansers.

Today we're going to try for Williamson's Sapsucker and then go home via
Iraan (Pecos County). I'll post if we have any success.

--
Jay Packer
(sent from my phone)