[texbirds] Hwy. 48 (Cameron Co.) boat launch: Wood Storks + more

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:51:34 -0500

Inspired by the TEXBIRDS posting of Mary Beste (June 19, 2013) about Wood
Storks near the boat-launch area (Jaime J. Zapata Memorial Boat Ramp) east
of Hwy. 48 between Brownsville and Port Isabel, we yesterday (06/21/13)
visited that boat ramp late in the day in the hope that Wood Storks might
still be there. We were not disappointed, although the birds had moved from
south of the boat-launch area where Mary had found them on the 19th to north
of it when we found them late in our visit.

Before we found the Wood Storks we had spent some time enjoying the other
birds that were east and south of the boat-launch parking lot (see some
details below), but having fruitlessly searched for Wood Storks with our
scope and binoculars south of that area where Mary had found them (June 19),
we drove out of the parking lot and turned north, heading for Port Isabel.
As soon as we had made that turn we spotted a wide, long, water-filled ditch
east of the highway that hosted dozens of white birds. On its south end were
numerous egrets, Snowy (most numerous) and Great (a few). Almost
immediately, though, we spotted a flock of 10 Wood Storks, walking and
feeding together as a group, in the water-filled ditch, but north of almost
all of the egrets. Hiding behind my vehicle and poking my camera around it,
I got numerous pictures of the storks before a bunched group of vehicles,
including one loud, very speedy pick-up truck, zipped by and flushed all the
Wood Storks. They stuck together and flew to a seemingly vegetation-barren
and waterless sandy area immediately east of the mangrove-lined ditch where
they previously had foraged. They seemed, though, to be finding some kind of
food in this seemingly unlikely spot. As they flew to this barren area, they
had provided some nice flight/landing photos. They remained there feeding as
a group when we left.

We would note that birding was less than exciting at the boat launch, except
for the presence of what would appear to be regulars there, the family of
two adult and one immature American Oystercatcher. It was low tide and lots
of good feeding areas (oyster beds?) were exposed above the water line, and
the Oystercatchers and the Willets seemed very happy about this table laid
out by nature. All three Oystercatchers fed fairly close together the entire
time we were there, and it was fun to see them chase off the numerous
intrusive Willets who dared to enter their feeding territory. The Willets
seemed almost scared silly whenever the Oystercatchers turned and walked
directly toward them whenever they dared to approach. The Oystercatchers
seemed particularly protective of the feeding rights of their youngster, for
they would allow a closer approach by the Willets to themselves as the
foraged than they would when the Willets approached their offspring. Aside
form the Oystercatchers and the Willets the only other shorebird species we
found there was a single Black-bellied Plover, whose plumage suggested a
first-summer bird.

Again, the Wood Storks were initially found foraging  in a wide, very long,
mangrove-edged water-filled ditch immediately east of Hwy. 48 and
immediately north of the boat-launch parking lot. Later they foraged on a
barren-looking sandy area immediately east of the mangroves that line that
watery ditch.

Wishing everyone good birding, "birding doldrums" or not!
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX