[texbirds] Hutto Prairie Falcon - local interest

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:26:00 -0600

TexBirders,

I spent this blustery morning all around the Granger Lake area, hoping for
storm-blown strays.  Nothing unexpected was found and most upland birds were
laying low.  However, as I was heading home (about 1 pm) and nearly falling
asleep to the 75-mph drone of Toll 130, I glimpsed a Prairie Falcon powering up
the median about 1 mi N of US 79.  This is on the outskirts of Hutto, TX, in
Williamson Co.  The falcon was being “escorted” out of the area by a kestrel,
into whose territory the Prairie had probably encroached.  A very brief
sighting—and a very inconvenient location—but the bird might be refound in the
area.  I’d suggest driving CR 108 on the E side of Toll 130 from US 79 up to
Limmer Loop, or driving down the dead-end southbound frontage road on the W
side of Toll 130 from Limmer Loop to peruse the area.  No telling where the
larger falcon might be hanging out.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at