[texbirds] Re: How much insect repellent do I need on the UTC?

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx" <kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>, TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:52:51 +0000

John Whittle and I birded Sabine Woods today and there are certainly mosquitos
around but (with spray) they were not bad.  A few Deer Flies as well but they
were manageable.  This was with the woods being quite dry, a little rain and
this could all change of course.
On the bird side, we had ten species of warblers (mostly single birds) which
included: Yellow, Black and White, American Redstart, Prothonotary, Northern
Waterthrush, Kentucky, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, Canada and Yellow-breasted
Chat.  There were also a few Empids, Olive-sided Flycatchers, Painted Buntings
and a Chuck-will's-widow along with a few other birds.  Overall things were a
little quiet with most of the warblers seen in two short bursts of activity at
~8:30am and 10:30am.  As the day heated up most of the bird activity quieted
down though the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers seemed to increase in number as the day
went on.  We both left around noon so not sure what the afternoon held.

Steve Mayes
Nederland, TX