[texbirds] How dark the eyes of Boat-tailed Grackle can be? - example of very dark iris

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:17:43 -0400 (EDT)

There were a few notes posted in past here about a color of Boat-tailed
Grackle eyes. Here is one Boat-tailed with very dark iris;  found in  Quintana
- September 15, 2012 on the beach. I do not recall ever seeing another  one
with darker iris, or even close to. In the field eyes seemed to look solid
black. In photo iris look little lighter than pupil. I checked a lot of
photos  posted on the Internet (I was surprised how many Great-tailed are Ided
as  Boat-tailed) and mine seem to have possibly one of the darkest iris but
perhaps  some people had seen even darken than that - any photos available
to check? I do  not have any particular interest in this species but maybe
somebody else like to  see this example for comparison.

_http://www.pbase.com/image/146241169_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/146241169)

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas