[texbirds] Houston inland migrants

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 20:32:53 -0500

I stopped by Hermann Park - Bayou Parkland this evening. Unfortunately, it
was quite dark so very hard to see much and the birds were very sluggish,
but in the brief amount of time I was there (Pam Smolen was there too for
part of the time), I had Black-throated Green, Yellow, Tennessee,
Chestnut-sided, Bay-breasted, and Black-and-white Warblers, along with Blue
Grosbeak, Scarlet and Summer Tanagers, Baltimore Oriole, and Ruby-throated
Hummingbird.  And then when I returned home an Acadian Flycatcher called
outside my house.  Combined with the birds Mary Ann Beauchemin recorded at
Russ Pitman Nature Discovery Center in Bellaire and the ones we saw during
lunch break at Rice U, there were 13 species warblers in inner Houston plus
flycatchers, tanagers, orioles, buntings, grosbeaks, upland sandpipers,
flocks of nighthawks.  Birds were everywhere.  Missing in action were
vireos and dickcissels.
I suspect that inland areas with trees surrounded by cityscape are going to
be hopping for the next few days.  Last year about this time, we had 25
species of warblers at Hermann Park Bayou Parkland.

Scattered rainstorms are forecast for the Houston area through Monday and
Tuesday.  The birds are coming and with these southerlies they're going to
just keep on going, but if it rains in the night, the birds will be forced
down and the mornings will be good.  Tonight, the low overcast skies will
probably also be good for detecting nocturnal migrants...tomorrow is going
to be good within the Houston inner loop, so check out Russ Pittman, Rice
U, Hermann park Bayou Parkland... north and south blvds, or just any
neighborhood with trees.

CT Lee
Houston