[texbirds] Houston Pewee and Grebe (local interest)

  • From: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:38:43 -0600

Howdy Texbirders,
Jim Hinson found the Greater Pewee for me this morning at Bear Creek Park,
behind Restroom 9....find the Bluebirds.
Also, I was looking at old records last night, and came across my notes of
my discovery of a Western Grebe on a lake 4.4 miles NE of Arcola, along SH
6.  This was October 31st, 1965.  There was also a record at the same site
for the same species on 9/12/54.  This sighting was doubly important to me
because a few days later, I met my friend Victor Emanuel at that spot.  It
was the first time we birded together.  Now, I wonder if it was a Clark's
Grebe????  Although my image of that bird remains Western.
Ciao,
Dennis
West Houston
Harris County