[texbirds] Houston Birds (10/3)

  • From: James Hinson <jmhinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:20:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hit Bear Creek Park early this morning in hopes of finding some RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES. Started over on Sullins Way near the pines, and to my surprise
found
a COUCH'S KINGBIRD right off the bat. The bird briefly vocalized in response to
my playing a recording of it's call, and reappeared to it's recording each time
it flew out of sight. Luckily another local birder, Dale Wolk, just happened to
show up about a half hour later, and just happened to have his camera, and was
able to get a few photos. Hopefully they turned out. One wonders, what the heck
that bird is doing in Bear Creek Park! After losing the kingbird, we checked
out
a flock of birds hanging around in the area immediately before the pines, and
was able to locate a female type GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER. Another good find.
Nothing else really to write home about in this flock, but we did manage a YB
Sapsucker, 2 Flickers, some RG Kinglets and a YR Warbler, all FOF for me. With
no nuthatches to be found in the pines, we headed over to the pines area around
Restroom #10 on Golbow and was able to find 3 RB NUTHATCHES. A couple of hours
later, I was joined by Adam Wood and Janet Rathjen and we eventually found 5.
Pretty easy to find too. Didn't see any Redpolls!!!!

Good Birding

Jim Hinson
Houston, Tx.