[texbirds] Highlights in Lubbock - Friday through today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
On Friday (11 October 2013) I made my way very leisurely home from work.  In
1.5 hours I tallied thirty species of bird, including 1 Neotropic Cormorant
over the pond at Quaker Avenue and 19th Street, 2 Snowy Egrets at Maxey Park, 3
Greater Yellowlegs at Maxey Park, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler at TTU HSC, 2
Chipping Sparrows at TTU HSC, 2 Clay-colored Sparrows at TTU HSC, and 2 male
Bronzed Cowbirds at TTU HSC.

Yesterday (12 October 2013) I visited three of Lubbock's playa parks (Leroy
Elmore, Miller, and Leftwich) for fifteen minutes apiece yesterday with the
following highlights: 2 Wood Ducks, 1 Neotropic Cormorant, 1 Great Egret, and 2
Spotted Sandpipers at Leroy Elmore Park; 1 Snowy Egret, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1
Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Clay-colored Sparrows, and 7 Savannah Sparrows at Miller
Park; 1 Snowy Egret, 5 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Stilt
Sandpiper, 2 Least Sandpipers, and 1 Merlin at Leftwich Park.

Then, from 9:00 to 1:00, I thoroughly explored Clapp Park, picking up 52
species of bird including 1 American Wigeon, 2 Green Herons, 1 Sharp-shinned
Hawk, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 1 Broad-winged Hawk, 3 Black-chinned Hummingbirds, 1
Red-naped Sapsucker, 2 Rock Wrens, 2 Townsend's Solitaires,  1 Swainson's
Thrush, 4 Hermit Thrushes, 2 Gray Catbirds, 2 Brown Thrashers,  8
Orange-crowned Warblers, 2 Nashville Warblers, 2 Common Yellowthroats, 1
'western' Palm Warbler, 2 Wilson's Warblers, 2 Spotted Towhees, 17 Chipping
Sparrows, 45 Clay-colored Sparrows, 1 Brewer's Sparrow, 3 Field Sparrows, 7
Vesper Sparrows, 6 Savannah Sparrows, 3 Grasshopper Sparrows, 14 White-crowned
Sparrows, 1 Dark-eyed Junco, and 2 Indigo Buntings.

This morning (13 October 2013) I returned to Clapp Park and birded for 2.5
hours, mostly with Ross Rickett, in hopes that current unsettled weather had
dropped some birds.  It was pretty dismal - the timing of the front was such
that most of the good stuff from the day before had, evidently, pushed on
overnight and we only managed 40 species (and much lower numbers overall).
Highlights were present, though, including 1 American Wigeon, 18 Green-winged
Teals, 1 Green Heron, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 11 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Barn Owl, 1
Gray Catbird, 1 Brown Thrasher, 6 Orange-crowned Warblers, 1 Nashville Warbler,
2 Wilson's Warblers, 1 Spotted Towhee, 1 Brewer's Sparrow, 1 Vesper Sparrow, 1
White-crowned Sparrow, and 1 Indigo Bunting.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock