[texbirds] Highlights from north and east of Lubbock today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I spent close to four hours in Motley County this morning and it rained, albeit
lightly, almost the whole time.  This canceled two of the dirt road loops that
I had planned on but it was RAIN, man, and I wasn't going to complain.

Highlights from Motley County included 2 Eastern Phoebes just south of Roaring
Spring, 2 Eastern Bluebirds just south of Matador, 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 2
Least Sandpipers at the Matador Sewage Ponds, 1 Rock Wren and 1 Mountain
Bluebird at the East Mound Cemetery, 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and 1 Bewick's
Wren along Ballard Creek, 2 Bewick's Wrens just south of Whiteflat, 2 Verdins
and 1 Fox Sparrow in Whiteflat, 1 Carolina Wren and 1 Swamp Sparrow at the CR
2009 crossing of Turkey Creek, 6 Bushtits and 1 White-throated Sparrow at the
CR 2009 crossing of the Pease River.

I then spent a couple of hours or so in Floyd County where it was no longer
raining but there was some evidence of recent, very light rain - not enough to
bring up the Tiger Salamanders but something.

Highlights from Floyd County included 1 Sage Thrasher near Cedar Hill, 1 Say's
Phoebe near the intersection of Highway 97 and Highway 207, 1 male Common
Yellowthroat at Eagle's Hall Park, 1 Rock Wren and 1 Fox Sparrow at the Highway
207 crossing of White River, 2 Turkey Vultures near McCoy.

I had a single highlight in Hale County as I made my way homeward: 1 Townsend's
Solitaire just west of Petersburg.

Given the ongoing drought, a pretty fine day!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock