[texbirds] Highlights from Clapp Park, Lubbock - yesterday

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 08:59:19 -0600

Greetings All:
I spent 1.5 hours at Clapp Park, Lubbock, yesterday.  Conditions have
improved somewhat with respect to the birding approaching what it should be
given the excellent habitat available.

I spotted 30 species of birds with the following highlights: 1 Greater
Yellowlegs, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 1 Downy Woodpecker (in the large Live-oaks at
'Shrubhenge'), 19 Cedar Waxwings, and 4 Pine Siskins.  Songbirds remains
surprisingly slow: I don't know how the park is supporting 2 Cooper's Hawks
and 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks.

With regards to my competition with Rich Kostecke, I was please to -
finally - add House Sparrow to my park list for the year ... as well as
nine other species, bringing my park list for the year up to 51.

With regards to one of the earliest 'springs' I have witnessed  in the
region I noted American Bullfrogs calling and had five species of butterfly
flittering about (Cabbage White, Orange Sulphur, Sleepy Orange, Dainty
Sulphur, and Mourning Cloak).

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock