[texbirds] Highlights from Clapp Park, Lubbock, this morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 12:27:33 -0500

Greetings All:
I spent 2.5 hours at Clapp Park this morning. I had intended to spend my
usual 1.5 hours but I kept tripping over good birds and had to prolong my
visit. I also got a chance to finally meet Alan Livingston - nice to put a
face to a name that occasionally pops up:)

Highlights included: 2 Great Egrets, 62 Snowy Egrets, 1 Yellow-crowned
Night Heron, 1 immature White-faced Ibis, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Baird's
Sandpiper, 1 Common Poorwill, 2 Western Wood Pewees, 1 Willow Flycatcher, 1
Plumbeous Vireo, 1 Louisiana Waterthrush (a bit late for Louisiana
Waterthrush around here and a bit early for Northern Waterthrush around
here), 4 Yellow Warblers, 1 adult male Townsend's Warbler, 1 Chipping
Sparrow, and 1 female and 1 immature male Indigo Bunting.

The joint is jumping with hummingbirds. I saw at least eleven but, despite
my best efforts, could not convert any of them to anything but immature
Black-chinned Hummingbird. Though some of these may well be migrants, the
numbers are consistent with adult males defending 3-4 territories at this
site earlier in the year.

The Plumbeous Vireo, Baird's Sandpiper, and Townsend's Warbler (in order of
encounter) were all new to my Clapp Park effort this year, bringing my site
list for 2015 to 156 species. I doubt that I will make my goal of 200 bird
species for the year at the site (due mostly to conditions that were too
poor for shorebirds in early spring, too good for shorebirds in late
spring, too good for shorebirds in late summer) but I still think I have a
shot at 175!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock