[texbirds] Highlands Reservoir

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:48:44 -0500

Kinda  interesting morning.

Immediately sighted 3 Bald Eagles flying hard, two adults and one juvenile.
There have been no White Pelicans for a few days now (north impoundment) and
the ducks have thinned out considerably. The water is still a little high so
not many shorebirds.

The turf farm on north side of Barbers Hill Rd across from the reservoir had
50 Golden Plovers, which later moved into field on reservoir side of road.

I was a little late in watching this small drama. I followed a Caracara as
it landed in the reservoirs north field near a cow and calf. At that point
there was a Black Vulture very near the cow. The Caracara circled the cow,
calf and the vulture, while the cow was shushing the vulture away. Upon
closer inspection it was clear I had just missed the cow giving birth.
Within a short period of time the calf stood up. The cow continued shushing
the vulture apparently unaware the vulture was after the afterbirth not the
calf. The Caracara kept it's distance and I suppose it also was waiting on
the afterbirth. WOW

I am fairly certain I saw an Eastern Kingbird. It's throat, breast, and
flanks were very white in the very short peek I had. I suppose it would be a
very early bird.

ray porter
highlands, texas