[texbirds] Highland Mall Martins

  • From: Mary Ann Melton <mammelton50@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 00:10:33 -0500

Sad to say, tonight was the first time I had ever gone down to watch the purple
martins come in at Highland Mall in Austin.  What an amazing evening!

I find myself with several questions:

What is the current estimate as to how many martins are coming in each night?

What geographical nesting range is represented by the martins gathering at
Highland Mall?

How long has this been such a major stopover or gathering point?

Are there any records as to what the population of these roosting martins has
been over time?  Is the total number of birds still increasing each year? And
at what rate?

What are the approximate number of the other birds - the starlings, grackles,
etc in the same general area?

Thanks in advance for the information to satisfy my curious mind!

Mary Ann Melton
Hutto TX

Mary Ann's View Nature Photography Website
http://www.maryannmelton.net

Mary Ann's Blog
http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/