[texbirds] Hidalgo County birds, 2/23/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:06:26 -0500 (EST)

Will Rektorik and I ran our Frontera Audubon Birdathon route today from
Brushline Road in Hidalgo County to Delta Lake to Frontera to Estero to South
Padre Island and totaled 141 species.  The only bird of note on SPI was the
continuing Flamulated Owl.  Or at least that's what people were calling a small
spot hidden in the foilage.  But we had some good stuff in Hidalgo County.  The
water on the west side of Delta Lake is now low creating vast mudflats.
Notable was a Bonaparte's Gull.  Brushline Road north of TX 186 gave us ten
Bobwhites, a Black-throated Sparrow, Cassin's Sparrow, 25 Lark Buntings and
Cactus Wrens.  G I Road had a surprise Sage Thrasher about half way to the
feedlot which had the usual Brewer's Blackbirds.  Frontera had continuing
Black-and-white Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler and Ovenbird.

It's not too late to make a donation.
http://fronteraaudubon.wordpress.com/about/

Dan Jones, Weslaco