[texbirds] Hidalgo Co: Estero Llano Grande State Park - 1 Aug 2012

  • From: Michael Marsden <valleybirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:19:12 -0500

I came across 68 species at Estero Llano Grande this morning, including:
  Fulvous Whistling-Duck - singleton on Dowitcher pond
  Anhinga - on Alligator pond
  White-tailed Kite - over the arroyo
  Solitary Sandpiper - 2 on Dowitcher
  Common Sandpiper - on Dowitcher
  Semi-palmated Sandpiper - worn ad on Dowicher
  Stilt Sandpiper - 6 on Dowitcher (& more on the far side of the arroyo -
with peeps, dowitchers & avocets)
  Groove-billed Ani - 9, incl 3 juvs (most in the Tropical area)
  Green Kingfisher - female type on Alligator
  Clay-colored Thrush - 2, incl a juv, in the Tropical area
  Black-and-white Warbler - 2 in the Tropical area
  Yellow-throated Warbler - in the Tropical area (my FOS)
  Painted Bunting - 4 (most in the Tropical area)
  Dickcissel - 6 (most by the arroyo) &
  Orchard Oriole - by the arroyo.

On the way out I bumped into Nina Rach & Paula Kennedy, who had also seen
two birds I missed - the long-staying female Rose-throated Becard (by the
nest in the Tropical area at about 8:45am) and a Common Pauraque.

Complete list on eBird.

Michael Marsden
956-246-6006
Alamo Inn, TX.