[texbirds] Henslow's Sparrow, west Houston, 12/9

  • From: "Ken Hartman" <kahartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 22:51:56 -0600

All,

I had a Henslow’s Sparrow perched in a small tree with 5 LeConte’s Sparrows
at 7:05 AM today in the prairie part of the Addicks Reservoir west of
Eldridge and north of Clay – just south of the Twin Lakes subdivision.  It
was in the tall grass field on the SW side of the first mown area that you
reach after passing all the woods when walking from Eldridge.  Exact
coordinates are:  29.846345°, -95.613705°.  All the birds responded quite
dramatically to pishing – as I never played a recording of either sparrow.
In my experience, though, these sparrows are only responsive to pishing
and/or recordings right at and just after sunrise.  Even a bit later in the
morning, the only way to find them is to flush them from the field – in
which case they fly several dozen yards and drop back into the tall grass.
It’s very important to get there at sunrise if you want to get good looks.

Good birding,

Ken Hartman

Houston, TX