[texbirds] Hawks in Austin

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Maillist" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 13:01:26 -0500

I've been mostly stuck at home in town (north central Austin, Brentwood
neighborhood) of late, but this morning about 10:30 I started over to a
friend's house on Mesa Drive (west of me). Just a few blocks toward Koenig Lane
to the south, I noted several young Swainson's Hawks quite low, just above
treetop, so perhaps they were just lifting off from trees in the neighborhood.
I got out with binoculars at a safe corner, to look at the SWHAs, and while I
was standing there the pigeons on the wires suddenly spooked. And adult
Red-tailed was attacking the flock and had singled one out, although I did not
see the outcome of the chase.

Driving across Allendale and Northland (FM 2222) I had in sight at different
spots just to the south 3 kettles and one stream of SWHAs with a few Turkey
Vultures totaling, I would estimate about 350 birds, mostly SWHAs.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com