[texbirds] Harris County Western Grebe this afternoon

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:24:23 -0800 (PST)

Texbirders:
Stephan Lorenz spotted a Western Grebe at long distance in his scope in Tabb's
Bay (SE Harris County).
Awfully hard to see at that distance so we hired a fisherman to take us out in
his boat to get a better look.
We then had multiple good looks from 50 yards. Stephan got some identifiable
photos--see his ebird posting.

The bird was barely visible from shore from Thompson's Bait/Fish camp off of
Tri-Cities Road in far SE Harris right near Chambers Co.

When we refound the Western Grebe from the boat it was hanging around near an
orange triangle on a post with black writing (Channel Marker 18) and diving
near a small anchored orange float . You should look towards the yellow Fred
Hartman bridge from Thompson's Bait camp. Don't block fisherman trying to
launch their boats. This is the first Western Grebe reported to ebird in harris
county but there was previously one (pre-species split) some time ago at
Bayshore and another one in Cedar Bayou (Cedar Bayou is in both Chambers and
Harris Counties) both sightings per Eubanks, Behrstock & Weeks. Western Grebe
has not been previously reported on the Houston Christmas Bird Count that
contains today's sighting location (1939-present). Hope it sticks around.
The Berners
John, Cathy, Abby and Zach