[texbirds] Harlingen Area

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 18:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and I headed over to Harlingen this morning and were met at Hugh
Ramsey Park by Norma Friedrich and Cheryle Beck.  It's literally been years
 since I was here, so it was good to wander the place again; besides the
usual  thornscrub stuff, highlights included a Green Kingfisher along the
Arroyo  Colorado overlook, a Green Parakeet that came screaming in along the
river, and  dozens of Smoky Rubyspots all along the trails!  A Buff-bellied
Hummingbird  came in close at the feeder area before we left, and a Crimson
Patch fluttered  in the trees overhead.

Cheryle took off afterwards, so Norma led the way to Harlingen Lake.
Before making the turn on to Harrison, however, she stopped dead in the middle
of the left turn lane and I was wondering what the deal was, when suddenly
Pat  spotted a little brood of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks crossing the
road!   They were SOOOO cute!  Thankfully all the other drivers gave them the
right-of-way as well!

Harlingen Lake had several more whistlers and a bunch of Chimney Swifts
flying low over the water, but nothing out of the ordinary.  From there  Norma
led us to Pendleton Park, where we picked up a Loggerhead Shrike and a
Common Gallinule bossing a Coot around.  We also had a couple of twittering
Tropical Kingbirds there.

Pat had never been to the Harlingen Thicket, so we went there next and just
 hiked the short little loop trail.  An oriole that was probably a Hooded
went tearing over, but I didn't get a good enough look to tell for sure.  A
Verdin called pretty loudly next to the trail, but naturally didn't wanna
come  out...

Norma called it a day after that, so Pat and I wound our way to Dixieland
Park.  She first showed me a dirt road that John Yochum had told her about,
where we got an incongruous pair of Black-necked Stilts (there didn't
appear to  be any water around for miles) before circling back to the park.  An
Osprey  was across the lake, and a cute little Mexican Ground Squirrel came
over to say  hello as well.  The highlight, however, was definitely this
Yellow-crowned  Night Heron who had caught a crawdad and gagged it down in
front
of us!

It wasn't quite 11:00 yet, so we decided to swing by Tiocano Lake to see if
 anything was about.  Pat had seen Avocets there earlier in the week, and
they were still there, along with tons of stilts and a Little Blue Heron.

Headed home with 54 species for the morning.  Pictures are posted  here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/June/Harlingen.
html

Bird list:

Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Plain  Chachalaca                       Ortalis vetula
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Green  Heron                            Butorides virescens
Yellow-crowned  Night-Heron             Nyctanassa violacea
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Osprey                                 Pandion haliaetus
Common  Gallinule                       Gallinula galeata
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Green  Kingfisher                       Chloroceryle americana
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Green  Parakeet                         Aratinga holochlora
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Tropical  Kingbird                      Tyrannus melancholicus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Carolina  Wren                          Thryothorus ludovicianus
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
54 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)