[texbirds] Guadaloupe River SP & Warbler Woods

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 19:57:40 -0500

Hi, all!

Was actually able to have the hotel's breakfast this time and picked up
Marsha at the designated time! Made it in to the park just as they opened
the gate, so in we went, got our pass, used the potty, and picked up an
Eastern Phoebe right there along with a Carolina Wren that actually gave us
a look!

From there we hiked the opposite direction on the Painted Bunting Trail from
where I had hiked Friday, and Marsha especially enjoyed the flower show!
Again, we heard more than we saw, but she finally did get a good look at a
Field Sparrow (and he was serenading us, too J), but unfortunately she
missed the Vermilion Flycatcher (she was thinking I was referring to the
bird on the post which turned out to be a cowbird.). A Turkey gobbled in
the distance, and on the return trip an Upland Sandpiper called overhead
unseen.

From there we crawled through the Turkey Sink Campground (Marsha got a kick
out of that name J), and we scared up several kinds of doves in here. But
just as we were about ready to get back into the car I heard a
Golden-cheeked Warbler singing its buzzy "Can can can you SEEEE me?" song,
so we tracked him down to a thick grove of what looked like oaks, and as per
usual, they came right in, only the first bird looked soaking wet! A really
nice male came in soon after, so Marsha was able to get a good look at this
specialty of the Hill Country!

From there we came to the parking area for the Barred Owl Trail (we both
smiled at the fact that we were the only ones utilizing this huge parking
lot - it must get really busy during the summer!); according to the map it
was nice and short and gave you an overview of the river, so we gave it a
shot. A Summer Tanager was singing nearby and he finally came out and gave
us a good look when a Cardinal flew into his tree and shook things up a bit!
The overlook was beautiful: a Canyon Wren was singing, and across the way a
Rufous-crowned Sparrow and Red-eyed Vireo were giving a concert. On the way
back we kicked up a golden-headed Dun Skipper.

From there we headed to the bird blind; didn't look like the guy was
finished with the water feature, but no one was working on it at any rate,
so we enjoyed what was coming in for about 15 minutes (I had heard a
bluebird just as we walked up, but he never returned): mostly Lesser
Goldfinches and Cardinals, plus a few House Finches and a couple of Fox
Squirrels J. A chickadee came in briefly, as did a Black-chinned Hummer,
but nothing out of the ordinary.

Then it was time to show Marsha that gorgeous Bald Cypress Trail! Those
swallows were flying overhead again, so since the checklist said that Caves
were accidental, I took a look, and sure enough, everything I could get a
good look at looked like Cliffs - I guess I've just forgotten what they
sound like! L (I just did a review - Cliffs do have a bit of a rattle that
can sound like Caves.) The flowers were nuts, and so were the butters: a big
black one attached itself to some pretty thistles, and at first I thought it
was a female Black Swallowtail (and we could have indeed have had one), but
the pictures I got of one more or less cooperative bug turned out to be a
black female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail! That was definitely a first for me!
Several turtles (that were not Red-eared Sliders) sat on a log but vamoosed
the minute I pulled my camera out; Marsha mentioned that they were actually
invasive in some areas of the country! We sat and enjoyed the rapids (and
loved on a lady's Miniature Pinscher J), while what could have been just
another Powdered Dancer sat next to me - it looked a little darker, but will
have to ask the experts. The Clubtail sailed by again but never stopped.
On the way back we ran into more pretty butters, including both kinds of
Lady, and a Phaon Crescent.

We were both ready to hit the road after that, so after checking out some
warblers there in the grove (added Orange-crowned and Nashville), we stopped
at Marsha's so she could drive her own car to Warbler Woods (we would be
heading in opposite directions afterwards), then she led me to I-35, where I
took over and got us to the right exit. We arrived at the Woods, and what a
place Susan has! Unfortunately I didn't get to meet her (hopefully
tomorrow), but we got our checklists (with the map printed on the back, and
a very professional job they did, too!) and took off for the feeding areas!
We kept running into these two gals who had "rented" a golf cart, and they
told us that you could use one for a donation - that's great for people who
can't walk! We could, however, so we started at the feeders behind the
house, picking up the normal Cardinals and House Finches, but also hearing a
White-throated Sparrow tuning up for his northern home!

Susan had alerted me to the fact that as of last week the Harris' Sparrow
was still hanging around the Old Barn, so that was our next destination.
That place was hopping after awhile: several White-crowned Sparrows came
in, along with a Lincoln's and Chipping (and Cardinals of course), but
eventually we spotted a black-faced, pink-billed sparrow hiding back in the
grass - it was the Harris'! I was so jazzed - that was the bird of the day
for me!

From there we followed the huge power lines to the next feeding area, but
not before taking a peek at First Field, which was lovely with all the
blooming flowers - you wanted to run out and play in it! J I had texted
Susan to tell her the Harris' was still there, and she texted back and said
that Clay-colored Sparrow and Indigo Bunting had been seen at Chat Pond, so
we headed that way. First we checked out Sparrow Hole, where the two ladies
with the golf cart reported a bunch of Chippies, and sure enough, after
awhile they came in droves! When the big Golden Retriever decided to come
and say hello, we used that opportunity to head over to Chat Pond, which had
more Chippies in addition to a couple of Lark Sparrows, more Whitecrowns,
and another Lincoln's. Before long we had to start heading back so Marsha
could get home before rush hour and I could check into the hotel, so we
quickly found our way back to the parking lot, said our goodbyes, and went
our separate ways. I had texted Susan asking what the earliest time she
would want visitors there, and she said 4:00 AM!!! I said I didn't think
I'd be there that early, but it would be a good opportunity to listen for
night birds!

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (in Marsha's neighborhood)

Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus

Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

Eurasian Collared Dove

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Vermilion Flycatcher Pyrocephalus rubinus

Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens

Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

Blue Jay (in Marsha's back yard) Cyanocitta cristata

Purple Martin Progne subis

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota

Carolina Chickadee Poecile carolinensis

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Canyon Wren Catherpes mexicanus

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Eastern Bluebird Sialia sialis

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Nashville Warbler Oreothlypis ruficapilla

Yellow-throated Warbler Setophaga dominica

Golden-cheeked Warbler Setophaga chrysoparia

Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens

Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

Field Sparrow Spizella pusilla

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

White-throated Sparrow Zonotrichia albicollis

Harris's Sparrow Zonotrichia querula

White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

House Finch Haemorhous mexicanus

Pine Siskin Spinus pinus

Lesser Goldfinch Spinus psaltria