[texbirds] Green Parakeet roost update in McAllen

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 18:33:33 -0600

In this day of Texbirds, eBird, etc., many folks may already know the
location of the Green Parakeet gathering in north McAllen. For those who
don't, or who haven't visited lately, the birds have shifted north. This
evening, as part of the Santa Ana CBC, I estimated 210 Green Parakeets at
or within a few hundred yards north of the intersection of N. 10th Street
and Trenton Road. There are a lot of Great-tailed Grackles, and sometimes
the parakeets intermingled with the grackles on the wires. I checked
farther south along 10th Street, where they formerly roosted (south to Dove
and beyond), but there were no birds there. Lots of shopping traffic,
since, Target, Kohl's, Sam's Club, and many other stores are in the area!
Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX