[texbirds] Green Kingfisher pair, Austin

  • From: Roger Shaw <roger.w.shaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:22:28 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I decided to rent a kayak this morning, and spent a couple of hours
paddling between the MoPac bridge and Redbud Isle, on Town Lake in
downtown Austin.

Most surprising to me were two Green Kingfishers, a male and a female,
seen at separate occasions. Given the time of year, I wouldn't be
surprised if they were nesting nearby, but my kayak certainly couldn't
keep up with their swift flights. Both birds were about halfway out to
Redbud Isle, along the shore of UT's Brackenridge Field Laboratory.
Access to BFL is only for UT faculty/staff/students, and a long fence
blocks the BFL paths from the lakeshore anyways, so any attempts at
finding a nest would be best accomplished from the water.

Also of note were a Black-crowned Night-Heron flying over the Deep
Eddy Pool, and two Canyon Wrens singing on the south side of the lake.
A great way to spend any morning.

Roger Shaw
roger.w.shaw@xxxxxxxxx
Austin, TX