[texbirds] Greater Pewee & W. Tanager (2/18)

  • From: James Hinson <jmhinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 13:01:37 -0800 (PST)

By chance, was joined by David and Iris Poteet this morning out in Bear Creek
Park, and was able to find both the Greater Pewee and, a male Western Tanager
in
pretty short order. The Pewee was actively feeding hawking insects, and moving
around quite a bit, and was seen all over, near Restroom #10, Restroom #12 and
Restroom #9. As for the tanager, I do believe this is a different bird than the
one I found on Saturday. Unlike Saturday's bird, which was definitely an adult
male with very conspicuous red, today's bird had very little, with only a very
faint hint of red on it's crown. We were all in consensus that today's bird was
an immature male. The tanager was found this morning near the cul-de-sac on the
south side of Restroom #12, and moved across the street to the area in back of
Restroom #10.

Jim Hinson
Houston, Tx.