[texbirds] Great Turf Farm birding...Decosta, Victoria Co.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:47:49 -0500

  Had appointments in Victoria today but managed to make a short stop by a
turf farm I have never made it to previously and is fairly new....Birding
was great there in the short time I had.   Location: At Decosta on 87 turn
north on 1686 and go a little over a mile and you will see it on your
left....Go then to the first county road on the left and you can drive
along side of the well cropped and irrigated turf fields which measures .3
X .7 mile...(IE big).The name of the farm is Grimes Grass Farm.
  Lots of birds....Around 140-160 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, Uplands, peeps
a few L. B. Curlews, a few Uplands etc.  To the north of the county road
there is a water retention pond...9 Wood Storks stood on the berm.  2
Egyptian Geese were seen flying in to the turf farm.  I could not figure
out what they were at first..... I had way too brief of time to look and no
time to scope but had an appointment to keep.  For the locals this is for
sure a place you want to visit in migration

Victoria:  So I am waiting in an exam room for a doctor.  I'm on a third
floor and looking out of the window and down into the tops of thick Live
Oaks that are often planted around medical complexes.  There were several
warblers just below, a Wilson's a few Yellows and my FOF and completely
unexpected Magnolia "restarting" thru the branches.

Birding is everywhere

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist