[texbirds] Granger Lake - odds and ends

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:49:40 -0600

TexBirders,

The massive rafts of coots and mixed ducks were mostly absent today but in
their place was a hefty resting flock of 500 gulls.  Ninety-nine percent were
Franklin’s (about 60-70% first-winter) but also present were Ring-billed, a few
Herring, and my FOS Bonaparte’s (two 1st-winter birds).  The birds were 3/4
mile out on the lake so sifting through them even with a scope was difficult.

I found no eagles on the lake today, but I (figuratively) bumped into the
2nd-year Bald Eagle reported by someone over the weekend in the megafield area.
 I saw it from CR360 just S of the Bell County line.  At the famed 90-degree
corner on CR360, about 10 Mountain Plovers were quite close to the road—my
2nd-closest roadside encounter with that species, just the luck of the draw of
course.  A single silent longspur flew over me at that intersection as well.

I dipped on a Prairie Falcon reported in the megafield area but encountered a
Prairie Merlin on CR353 which had also been reported over the weekend.  Large
mixed blackbird flocks in that area are increasing and should continue to
attract the falcons.  A drake Hooded Merganser was on a small pond along CR350.

Chuck Sexton
AustinEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at