[texbirds] Golden-cheeked Warbler in west Austin

  • From: Behrens Mikael <mikaelb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:53:46 -0600

Howdy,

I'll add another Golden-cheeked Warbler report. This morning I observed a
single male Golden-cheeked Warbler on the Nalle Bunny Run Wildlife Preserve in
west Austin this morning. It was in a mixed species foraging flock of
Black-crested Titmice, Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets, and at least
one Red-breasted Nuthatch. (Seeing the warbler and the nuthatch in the same
binocular view was fun!) I did not hear it singing. I got some poor but
identifiable photos.

I also observed a singing single male Yellow-throated Warbler. This species
breeds on the preserve and I'm sure this is a returning bird from last year.

There is no public access to the preserve except for a monthly bird walk and
other events. More info is available here:

http://www.hillcountryconservancy.org/land-projects/private-land-preservation/nalle-bunny-run-wildlife-preserve/

Mikael Behrens
Austin
Travis County