[texbirds] Glaucous Gull at Boca Chica

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:02:52 -0600

TexBirders,

I spent a few hours driving along the Boca Chica Beach this
afternoon, looking for the young Glaucous and Little Gulls that have
been previously reported.

I easily found the Glaucous Gull standing along the beach about one
half of the way down to the Rio Grande River mouth. There were a few
Bonaparte's Gulls loafing on the sand bar at the river mouth (with
numerous Laughing, Ring-billed, and Herring Gulls, and Forster's
Terns), including some first winter birds that were scrutinized
carefully...but, alas, the Little Gull was not seen.

A few photos of the Glaucous Gull can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/winter2014

Enjoy!

Erik Breden
Harlingen, Texas