[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 6 October

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 19:17:36 -0500

Hi all:
Well, the cold front cleared, but it left behind three hours of off-and-on
rain/drizzle that killed any chance that we had for a great flight.  However,
today was the most enjoyable flight all season for me, as it was the first
'typical' Smith Point north-wind raptor flight this year.  That is, virtually
all the raptors were close AND low, provoking much oohing and ahing throughout
the afternoon.  One visitor's lifer Swainson's Hawk was an adult light bird
that flew so low directly over the tower that it had to have filled (perhaps to
overflowing) her binocular field!

Sharp-shinned Hawks were flying before sunrise, as is typical on good days
during Sharpie season.  More surprising was an adult Turkey Vulture that I
photographed against the red-and-gray very-early-morning sky.  I tallied 106
Sharpies by 9 am, but then the rain came.

Raptors counted:
Mississippi Kite - 64 (juveniles)
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 242 (incl. the first 4 adults of the season)
Cooper's Hawk - 38 (juveniles)
Broad-winged Hawk - 164
Swainson's Hawk - 4 (3 ad., 1 unk.)
American Kestrel - 74 (incl. the first big hit of males -- 23)
Peregrine Falcon - 4 (1 ad., 3 juvs.)
Total - 590

Probably due to strong overnight winds, the landbird flight was skinny and
comprised mostly of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers (104) and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
(119).  I did see a late Purple Martin early in the AM, and there were
smatterings (smatteringi?) of Blue Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, and Dickcissel.
Oddly, considering the past few days, I saw nary a blackbird.  The only warbler
that I ID'ed (out of a huge total of two) was a Western Palm Warbler that I
photo'ed flying over.

With the forecast for the next 24 hours remaining lovely, I expect a big
landbird movement tonight and tomorrow AM.  The forecast blue skies will be a
hindrance in seeing raptors after mid-morning, the bump that the weather gods
gave to the wind speed (from 5-10 up to 5-15) may give us a chance, if the wind
speed stays near the upper bound.  Regardless there will be hawks tomorrow --
and lots if 'em -- and there ought to be lots of other avian beasties!

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX