[texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Feb 16, 2013

  • From: imhuck3@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:47:28 -0500 (EST)

 Howdy Texbirders,
 We split our group this morning with about 20 people going with me out into
the wetlands while Rick took the other group into the Tropical Area and then
switched areas, with my group seeing and hearing over 70 species of birds.
Below is my ebird list for my part of the walk. Rick recorded some birds that
we missed and we got to see some that they missed. All told, over 80 species of
birds will be recorded for the Great Backyard Bird Count for Estero.
 Our Becard has not been seen for over a month now and perhaps have left for
parts to our south. There are some great birds being seen here even without the
rarities that are beginning to show in some of the other RGV sites. At Sabal
Palms, Crimson-collared Grosbeak and Convention Center at SPI, the Flammulated
Owl and I Bentsen SP, the Red-naped Sapsucker.
 I know it is just a matter of time and we are going to get that super rare
bird that people are going to hear about around the country and be "flocking"
to Estero. Come on down and maybe you will be the first to see it.
 OK, take a look if interested on what we seen this morning by checking the
ebird report below and remember,-----

Bird for your health,
 Forget your worries,
  You'll be happier.

 Huck Hutchens, Park Host
 Estero Llano Grande SP/WBC
  Weslaco, Texas

 PS. Bird walks every Wed. Sat. and Sunday beginning at 8:30 AM and are free
with the admission fee to the park.

Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Hidalgo, US-TX
Feb 16, 2013 7:50 AM - 12:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Split into 2 groups with 20 in mine and about the same in RIcks's
group
74 species (+2 other taxa)

Gadwall  12
Mottled Duck  22
Blue-winged Teal  8
Cinnamon Teal  3
Northern Shoveler  100
Northern Pintail  20
Green-winged Teal  16
Canvasback  1
Ring-necked Duck  14
Bufflehead  1
Ruddy Duck  10
Plain Chachalaca  12
Least Grebe  8
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  2
Anhinga  2
American White Pelican  30
Great Blue Heron  4
Snowy Egret  5
Little Blue Heron  2
Tricolored Heron  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron  8
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  8
White Ibis  1
Roseate Spoonbill  2
Black Vulture  5
Turkey Vulture  12
Northern Harrier  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Common Gallinule  5
American Coot  76
Black-necked Stilt  23
American Avocet  4
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Least Sandpiper  15
Long-billed Dowitcher  55
Wilson's Snipe  1
Mourning Dove  1
Inca Dove  18
White-tipped Dove  9
Common Pauraque  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Green Kingfisher  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  16