[texbirds] Fwd: BirdsEye-Starr County-2014-1-14

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:16:09 -0600

A trip to Starr County Tuesday found us some great birds.  We flushed 2
Scaled Quail and a covey of about 10 Northern Bobwhite at the Starr County
Park, had 3 Oriole species at Salineno, and the best find was a Rock Wren
behind the Rec Hall at Falcon State Park.  This was confirmed by photos
taken at the time.  Since the habitat was all wrong, I at first thought it
must be a juvenile Cactus Wren, but after seeing the photos and comparing
them to website photos and consulting with 3 top-notch birders, it was
confirmed as a Rock Wren.  (there were no rock piles around and it was
moving around a campsite, and in and out of the stack of wood near the
fire pit.
Pat DeWenter
Weslaco

2014-01-14 13:56
Starr County
Protocol: Traveling
5 Miles
300 Minutes
Observers: 3
All birds reported? Yes
    2    Scaled Quail
    10    Northern Bobwhite
    4    Double-crested Cormorant
    1    Black Vulture
    1    Turkey Vulture
    1    Osprey
    1    Harris's Hawk
    1    Red-shouldered Hawk
    1    Red-tailed Hawk
    1    Rock Pigeon
    1    Eurasian Collared-Dove
    15    White-winged Dove
    1    Mourning Dove
    4    Inca Dove
    1    Golden-fronted Woodpecker
    1    Ladder-backed Woodpecker
    1    Crested Caracara
    1    American Kestrel
    1    Vermilion Flycatcher
    4    Great Kiskadee
    4    Green Jay
    1    Black-crested Titmouse
    1    Rock Wren
    3    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
    1    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    1    Long-billed Thrasher
    5    Northern Mockingbird
    6    Orange-crowned Warbler
    1    Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
    5    Northern Cardinal
    100    Red-winged Blackbird
    20    Western Meadowlark
    1    Great-tailed Grackle
    1    Hooded Oriole
    3    Altamira Oriole
    2    Audubon's Oriole
    1    House Sparrow

This report was created and sent using BirdsEye BirdLog (
http://birdseyebirding.com/)