[texbirds] Fw: eBird Report - Yturria TPWD Tract, Jul 17, 2012

  • From: txbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

John and I went looking for the Varied Bunting this morning at the Yturria
tract west of La Joya...and found more than one. Going by a recent tip from
Mary Gustafson, we walked parallel to the road that borders the tract on the
east. This means walking north from the parking lot for a few hundred yards and
then continuing straight while the wider dirt road veers off to the left. We
only had to go another few hundred yards at most, and then had several looks
and "listens" from around 7:00 to 8:00 or so. The bird sang a few times from
the wires along the east road mentioned above, but covered a lot of ground to
the west, where it had several song posts. It chased/followed an apparent
female at times, and at one point we heard another male singing in another
direction. We didn't get close range, perched views, but were satisfied with
what we saw.

Also of note were three Least Flycatchers at various points along the trail,
plus (local interest) several juvenile Black-throated Sparrows and Verdins.See
full list below.

Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX

Yturria USFWS Tract, Hidalgo, US-TX
Jul 17, 2012 6:35 AM - 8:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Followed the road straight down the edge of the tract for a ways,
went beyond the low and wetter area and into more of the mesquite-based
chaparral.
30 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  4     flying over
Northern Bobwhite  12
Turkey Vulture  1
Crested Caracara  2
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Laughing Gull  8
White-winged Dove  5
Mourning Dove  9
Common Ground-Dove  2
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher  3     saw complete whitish eyering, short tail, small bill,
brownish overall color
Brown-crested Flycatcher  1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
Green Jay  2
Purple Martin  1
Verdin  5     at least 3 juveniles, with varying amounts of yellow on head
Northern Mockingbird  3
Long-billed Thrasher  2
Olive Sparrow  10
Lark Sparrow  2
Black-throated Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  8
Pyrrhuloxia  2
Varied Bunting  3     2 males (1  heard and seen well, other heard at same
time) and one female
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Great-tailed Grackle  10
Brown-headed Cowbird  4