[texbirds] Fw: Panhandle Birding, Northern Shrike, Palo Duro Canyon SP, Randall Co, TX 17-NOV-2013

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:15:23 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Barrett Pierce <bpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Anthony Hewetson' <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:43 AM
Subject: Panhandle Birding, Northern Shrike, Palo Duro Canyon SP, Randall Co,
TX 17-NOV-2013

Anthony,

I tried to post to Texbirds again but nothing goes through. What is the
procedure these days? Could you post the following report for me? Or should I
post to Facebook?

Thanks Barrett

I spent most of yesterday birding Palo Duro Canyon SP and found a Northern
Shrike on the west side of the entrance road just before the Visitor’s Center
where the power line crosses the road. It flew west away from the road into the
canyon.

Mountain Bluebirds and Cedar Waxwings were at the entrance and along the east
side of the entrance road. I found three Townsend’s Solitaires at three
different spots in the park. At the blind I saw Fox, White-throated, Lincoln
and Field Sparrows. At the first water crossing I saw a Blue-headed Vireo,
Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets and numbers of Song Sparrows.

Near the park I saw several flocks of McCown’s Longspurs and a Prairie
Falcon, a Ferruginous Hawk, two Rough-legged Hawk and four Burrowing Owls.

Barrett Pierce