[texbirds] Full Report from Plains I BBS - 23 June 2013

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:34:16 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I completed the Plains I BBS (Yoakum County) on 23 June
2013.  The route
which runs eastward to the Yoakum/Terry County line from a point north of
Plains and then southward along the county line is in horrible shape this year.
 It is located in a portion of the county that has not benefited from recent
rains (in dramatic contrast with the Plains II route - just 20 miles to the
west) and, to make matters worse, is undergoing 'improvements' related to
agriculture and energy extraction.  I actually had a run of five stops in a row
during which I tallied no wildlife at all - not even a Horned Lark to be
spotted on the desolate sand- and wind-swept, almost sterile cotton fields.  I
think this is probably the worst list that this route has ever produced for me.

The entire list of critters seen on the Plains I BBS:

4 Pipevine Swallowtails
1 Black Swallowtail
4 Checkered Whites
1 Lyside Sulphur