[texbirds] Full Report from Dougherty BBS - 2 June 2013

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I completed the Dougherty BBS (Floyd County) on 2 June 2013.  The route which
runs generally westward from Dougherty to well southwest of Floydada was almost
as dry as I have ever seen it and, though birding wasn't as bad as last year,
the ongoing drought has really had a negative impact on butterflies,
amphibians, reptiles, water-loving birds, and small mammals.  Some relief had
come the night before in the shape of very spotty showers and I actually had
one damp playa and one water-filled ditch along the route.

The entire list of critters seen on the Dougherty BBS:

1 Common Checkered Skipper
1 Gray Hairstreak

many Plains Spadefoots

2 Mallards