[texbirds] Frigatebirds fleeing the fire

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:55:55 -0500

..Actually more acurate the smoke which is literally choking and making
folks ill in Port O'Connor this afternoon.  It comes from a huge fire on
Matagorda Island just to the south and with  strong southwest winds is
coming right thru town.  The fire folks always seem to burn in the winter
when the smoke is blown out to sea with northern winds so likely this is a
big accident as I am sure they would know better otherwise.   So to set
this up, between Matagorda Island and Port O;Connor is Espiritu Santo Bay,
a shallow bay that the frigatebirds love...(I guess you kinda need to know
your Texas coast).....Without rambling on too much, it would appear that
they were "smoked" out of that bay and over here on the east side of town
where the edge of the smoke wall is distinct.  Here they fly in clear air
under clear skies......By my count at least  37 of them but there maybe
more as birds come and go and there is no way to tell if they are the same
ones or different.  Frigatyebirds are just so cool.....I have little doubt
that White-tailed Hawks are already doing some post fire inventories. A
couple of photos at the usual place below.

  Nice male Rufous Hummer in the back yard...Maybe two.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist